various locations (since 2016)
a Children’s Art Gallery project
The SUWaczek’s idea is based on the concept of the SUW project and – as the przeSUWanie – its title plays with the name of the first one. ‘Suwaczek’ in Polish is a small zipper, and what might be worth underlining here – it is a thing that is moving, changing position easily and connecting separated parts.
Each edition of the project uses a different space – small unused units, like an old cellar window or a ventilation slot – which is transformed into a tiny gallery space. Artworks presented inside – usually like in a glass-case – are created by kids during the workshops. Children make unique objects out of random and found elements, art supplies and everyday accessories. That is how the youngest and the smallest art galleries pop-up!
The SUWaczek was organised in several locations:
- SUWaczek 1 (2016) at Przedmieście Oławskie district in Wroclaw (PL), as a part of the programme of Komuny Paryskiej 45 Studio (KP45)
- SUWaczek 2 (2017) at Krowia Street in Wrocław (PL), within the frame of the 5th International Biennale of Urban Art OUT OF STH organised by BWA Wroclaw
- SUWaczek 3 (2019) which became one of the art projects presented at the BASE exhibition during 22. Biennale for Children in ZAMEK Culture Centre in Poznan (PL)
- SUWaczek 4 (2019) in Breda (NL)
- SUWaczek 5 (2020) called ‘Things have legs’ in old school in the Rivierenbuurt, Amsterdam (NL
– A video documentation of SUWaczek #1
– Magdalena Kreis, a curator of THE BASE exhibition, talking about the SUWaczek #3 (a video talk, PL with EN subtitles)
– An audio guide (PL, NL, EN) connected with the SUWaczek #4
– Live stream from the opening of the SUWaczek #5
– An audio guide (NL) connected with SUWaczek #5
– My blog on art education – Art Ambulance